Dental visits aren't just for cavities and teeth cleaning anymore. During a check-up, your dental hygienist and dentist assess the overall health of your mouth and gums. "A dentist check-up is an essential part of preventive care," says Leslie Seldin, DDS, a spokesperson for the American Dental Association. Here are five ways to get more out of your next visit to the dentist.
1. Make a Checklist of Questions or ConcernsBe prepared with questions you'd like to ask your dentist or hygienist. Be sure to mention any of the following problems:
- Bleeding when you brush. Bleeding is a common symptom of gum disease. The earlier the disease is caught, the easier it is to treat.
- Pain or sensitivity. Tooth pain or unusual sensitivity when biting down or eating hot or cold foods can be a sign of a cracked teeth, broken fillings, or cavities.
- Sores inside your mouth that don't heal normally. Sores that don't heal may be an early warning sign of oral cancer. Early detection is crucial to find oral cancer when it’s more easily treated.
- Problems with flossing or brushing. A jagged tooth or broken filling can make it difficult to floss. Arthritis or other medical conditions may make it hard to brush. Your dental team can help find the source of the problem and offer solutions.
- Clenching your jaw or grinding your teeth. Many people clench their jaws or grind their teeth, especially at night. Over time, grinding and clenching can wear teeth down, damaging the enamel and making teeth more susceptible to decay. Talk to your dentist if you think you grind your teeth.
To continue reading this article, Dr. Baker recommends heading over to Web MD: http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/healthy-teeth-2/dental-visit
If you are looking for a dentist in the South Bay, please do no hesitate to contact
South Bay Dental Solutions. We are located in Manhattan Beach, CA and provide all general and cosmetic dental services.
South Bay Dental Solutions
1213 Manhattan Avenue
Manhattan Beach, CA 90266